Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Wouldn't it be cool if...

WHOA!
  • You are probably aware that Newton and Leibniz independently discovered calculus at the same time.
  • You may also know that they both have a cookie named after them -- Fig Newtons and Leibniz cookies.  
That's cute.  The co-discoverers of calculus each get a cookie.  But what you probably don't know is that, like calculus, Fig Newtons and Leibniz cookies were also independently invented at the same time.  1891, in fact.  WHAT?!?

Shouldn't someone have told me this?  I literally just uncovered this fact by looking for it.  The topic of Fig Newtons and Leibniz cookies came up, and I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if they were invented at the same time..." so I looked it up on Wikipedia and HOLY MOLEY! 1891!

This should be taught in every calculus class.  Shouldn't there be a day where the teacher brings in Fig Newtons and Leibniz cookies and blows everyone's mind?

I like to imagine that, after years of fighting over priority, Newton and Leibniz decided to settle their differences with a gentleman's wager concerning whose namesake snack cookie would come first.  Alas, another draw.

1 comment:

  1. This blows my mind! I had no idea! I also didn't know Leibniz cookies were a brand.

    ReplyDelete