Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spam warfare

Instead of just filtering spam into a junk mail folder, why not bounce it back to the sender with a message that it has been flagged as spam?

If it's spam, this is at worst neutral and at best a minor hassle for the spammer. More importantly though, if it's not spam, the sender is informed that the message didn't get there. Like many people, I never go through my spam folder anyway...so the alternative is for no one to know that the email was lost in transmission.

Why doesn't this exist? (or does it?) All the odd technical issues I can imagine (spam pong, anyone?) seem easily fixable, but what do I know about these things? Am I missing something?


2 comments:

  1. That could actually be a very bad idea. Spammers often send spam to "randomly" generated email adresses. The moment you respond to an email, the spammer knows that the adress actually exists and might send you even more spam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I guess I don't understand how you can hide that information from them anyway. If the email address doesn't exist, the message will bounce, so if it doesn't bounce, don't they know it's a real address? If anything it seems like bouncing the message back would conceal the information that your address is real.

    ReplyDelete